Blepharoplasty Patient Instructions
Please read these instructions both before and after surgery. You can print a pdf copy of these blepharoplasty instructions here. Following these instructions carefully will help you obtain the best possible result from your surgery. If you have questions, do not hesitate to call us at any time.
Ten days before surgery
- Discontinue all herbal supplements
- Discontinue aspirin and ibuprofen
- Discontinue vitamin E supplements
- Avoid all alcoholic beverages
One day before surgery
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight
Morning of surgery
- The surgery center preoperative clinic will tell you which medications are permitted prior to surgery
Until further notice
- Avoid aspirin or ibuprofen
- Avoid exertion, including athletic activities, bending over, heavy lifting and straining
- Elevate your head at all times. At night, sleep with your head elevated about 30 degrees.
- Protect incision lines from sun exposure (for 6 to 12 months).
For two days
- Do not get your eyelid incisions wet.
Evening of surgery
- Place an ice pack (such as a bag of frozen corn or peas) over your eyes for 15 minutes every hour while awake. Continue for at least 48 hours.
- Place artificial tear ointment in your eyes before going to bed and as needed.
- Take Tylenol for pain. If that is ineffective, take your prescribed pain medication.
One day after surgery
- Gently clean your incision lines with a cotton swab and dilute hydrogen peroxide twice daily for 10-14 days.
- Apply plain Vaseline ointment to your sutures two to three time per day.
- Do not wear contact lenses. Ask Dr. Lamperti before you resume wearing your contact lenses.
One week after surgery
- You will return to the office for suture removal.
If you have any problems after your procedure, please call the office at (206) 505-1234