Fat Transfer Patient Instructions
Please read these instructions both before and after surgery. Following these instructions carefully will help you obtain the best possible result from your surgery. If you have questions, do not hesitate to all us at any time. You can print a pdf copy of these fat transfer instructions here.
- You may have bruising, swelling, and mild discomfort in both the face and the part of the body from where the fat was harvested. This is normal and will gradually resolve over a period of a few days to weeks. You may also notice some pressure and tightness in your face after surgery, and this is normal and should resolve over a period of 1 to 2 weeks.
- You should use ice packs liberally in the areas of the face where fat was transplanted for the first three days after surgery in order to minimize swelling and to speed up the resolution of swelling. If the body area where fat was harvested experiences any discomfort, some icing over the harvested area can also be undertaken for the first couple of days. You can continue to use ice over the swollen areas after surgery as needed for comfort and swelling.
- For the first two nights, it is preferred that you sleep in a semi-upright position to reduce the swelling more quickly. This can be either in a recliner or with extra pillows under your head in bed. It is preferable to sleep with your head elevated in the fashion for the entire first week after surgery if it does not interfere with the restfulness of your sleep.
- You will notice that you will look more swollen either 2 or 3 days after surgery, and this appearance should he expected and should not raise any alarm. The swelling should continue to decrease after the first several days.
- You may notice that one side of the face is more swollen or lumpy than the other side. This is normal. Swelling resolves unevenly and you may notice these asymmetries even for several weeks after surgery.
- A low sodium diet is recommended to help reduce facial swelling. Limiting daily sodium intact to 1000 mg is ideal.
- During your rest and recovery at home, you should avoid the temptation to do a lot of household busywork like cleaning and gardening that involves bending over and straining, that can lead to pronounced and prolonged swelling.
- Avoid vigorous exercise for one week. If you are accustomed to routine and frequent workouts and would like to resume your fitness regimen early, then you may start lighter exercise after the first few days of rest. If you notice significant facial swelling after your workout, you should reduce the amount of exercise you are engaged in. Light exercise with half to one third of your normal weight and with only slow muscle contractions is allowed.
- There are no restrictions in activity for the body part from where the fat was harvested. However, care should be taken to avoid straining and increasing stomach pressure that can lead to an increase in facial swelling.
- There are no sutures that need to be removed related to the fat transfer.
- You can apply makeup to the face two days after surgery if needed.
- You may notice ongoing changes for up to a 18 months after surgery. This does not mean that your fat is going away, but typically a little swelling can persist even up to 6 months after surgery.
If you have any problems after your procedure, please call the office at (206) 505-1234.
You clearly have honed considerable skill, knowledge and artistry, and take much pride in your work....I'm just so very grateful to have benefited from your amazing work.L.E. - Seattle, WA View More Patient Testimonials ›