Otoplasty Patient Instructions
Please follow all the preoperative instructions outlined in the General Preoperative Instruction Sheet carefully. Avoid any aspirin-containing or aspirin-related products as well as herbal medications and nutritional supplements as outlined in the Preoperative Instruction Sheet. Also, you should purchase a light headband to wear after surgery.
1. The day after surgery, the dressing placed around your head will be removed, and you may begin wearing your headband.
2. A dissolvable type of suture has been placed behind your ears. This area will need to be cleaned 2 to 3 times per day with q-tips and dilute hydrogen peroxide (mixed 50/50 with water). After the area behind the ears has been cleansed with hydrogen peroxide, plain vaseline should be applied with a q-tip for the first postoperative week. If the sutures do not entirely dissolve after 14 days, Dr. Lamperti can gently remove any remaining sutures.
3. While the dressing is still on your face may be washed at a sink with warm water and gentle soap. By two days after surgery your incision line can get wet and your hair may be gently shampooed, as long as you are careful around the ears.
4. The headband that you purchased before surgery should be worn after the dressing has been removed for the first week both during the day and at night. After the first week, you should wear the headband only at night when you sleep. You must continue to wear your headband at night for the next 5 weeks.
5. Avoid any contact sports or activity that may push or traumatize your ears for a minimum of 3 months following surgery.
You can print a pdf copy of these otoplasty instructions here.
If you have any problems after your procedure, please call the office at (206) 505-1234.