Retin-A Patient Instructions
How to use Retin-A
- Retin-A should be used each night. Some patients find that their skin does not tolerate daily use at first. If this is the case you should start off with an every other day or every third day regimen initially.
- Wash your face with a mild soap and let it dry completely. After patting dry with a towel, wait 20-30 minutes before applying the Retin-A. If you want to apply the Retin-A immediately, use a hairdryer on the ‘cool’ setting to ensure that your face is dry. If you are using Retin-A MICRO, you may apply it immediately after washing your face.
- Do not use an alcohol-based astringent or toner after washing.
- Place a blueberry-sized amount of Retin-A on a finger tip. Then dab it on your face in a uniform distribution. Finally, rub the dots of Retin-A on your face together.
- Smooth into your skin until the medication becomes invisible. When applying Retin-A, be sure to avoid the corners of your mouth and eyes.
- Wash your hands and do not apply anything else to your face.
- n the morning, wash your face with a mild soap and water. Gently use an exfoliating pad (Buf-Puf) to strip away the dead skin cells on the surface of your face.
- After washing and exfoliating, apply a non-comedogenic (won’t clog your pores) moisturizer with sunscreen.
What to expect
- During the first week, your face may feel tight or dry. If this happens, apply more moisturizer.
- Acne flare-ups are also common in the first several weeks. Continue to use the Retin-A and this will resolve.
- Retin-A will may you more sensitive to the sun. Be sure to use a moisturizer with sunscreen to prevent a sunburn.
- It may take 2-7 weeks before you see the effects of the Retin-A.
- Read the package insert for a full list of precautions and side effects. Women are advised not to use Retin-A during pregnancy.
Benefits of Retin-A
- Acne: Retin-A brings blackheads to the surface. The blackheads are then discarded from the skin during cleansing. Retin-A can help control acne breakouts as well.
- Hyperpigmentation: The ingredients in Retin-A can help sun-damaged skin, including age discoloration spots and light freckling.
- Poor Skin Texture: The increased exfoliation process from Retin-A removes dead cells and stimulates new skin cells to improve the texture of the skin. Retin-A also stimulates collagen growth and can improve the appearance of fine wrinkles.
- Preparation for Other Procedures: Retin-A is used to prepare the skin for procedures such as skin resurfacing and facial surgeries. The medication may be continued after a procedure to assist in recovery as well.
- Skin Cancer: Retin-A may decrease the risk of some skin cancers when used regularly.
You can print a pdf version of these retin-A instructions here.
If you have any problems after your procedure, please call the office at (206) 505-1234.
I am confident for the first time in my life about my face. Thanks to my nose job surgery, I am no longer weary of people seeing my profile.S.B. - Fort Walton Beach, Florida View More Patient Testimonials ›